Review: The Dam Keeper: World Without Darkness




Hardcover, 160 pages
Expected publication: July 10th 2018 by First Second

Beyond the dam lies certain death—this is something every citizen of Sunrise Valley knows well. Yet, when a poisonous black tidal wave carries Pig, Fox, and Hippo over the dam and into the wastelands, they don’t find death. Instead they find bustling cities, each with their own dams. Pig can't help but wonder, who is the mysterious dam keeper behind it all?

But he doesn't have time to unravel this mystery. The wave of deadly black fog will return to Sunrise Valley in four days, and its dam can't withstand another assault. In a stolen truck and with a deranged lizard leading the way, Pig and his friends are in a race against the clock. but can they reach home in time?





The Dam Keeper: World Without Darkness is the second book in a graphic novel series for children, something I wish I had researched before requesting an e-book copy to review from NetGalley. I must admit, I was drawn into it by the amazing artwork on the cover - something which can be said about the graphics of the inside of the book as well.

However, that is the only aspect I enjoyed about it. Despite having not read the first volume, I managed to grasp the story from reviews. This book continues the adventures of Pig, Fox and Hippo after they got lost in the mysterious fog, who are trying to get back home. The story is fast-paced, with scenes running one after another with little to no explanations, and you are left to wonder what is happening now. I am not a fan of the characters' names, but must admit it made it easier to remember who is who, since everyone is named after their species.


I learned this was based on a short animated film, and this makes me wonder why I've even bothered to read this confusing graphic novel when the animation might've been a lot more easier to follow.


The story will definitely continue in a follow-up volume, as this book ends in a cliff-hanger. Not a fan of that either. I guess this could prove to be a lot more enjoyable for a child who needs to be constantly entertained and gets bored easily, since everything happens so fast and there are a lot happening at once.


I really hoped this would prove to be more original than it was - I was disappointed by the superficiality some themes were dealt with, such as sacrificing live beings, pollution, theft, disability (the blind creature).

Poți cumpăra primul volum de aici (al doilea apare în iulie 2018).

You Might Also Like

0 comentarii

Comments